水曜日, 3月 19, 2014

Callan OLD Edition Stage 11 Lesson 165 on page 1119

VOCABULARY:
FRONTIER
MERELY
RING OFF 電話を切る
PRINCIPLE 原則
RHINE ライン川
DANUBE ドナウ川
GEOMETRY  幾何学

SENTENCE STRUCTURED:
I'm not feeling good today because I have a cold and sore throat.
I had these illnesses since 3 days ago.
Yes, I took some medicines.
Spring has come and I like it.
I just arrived home from work and I haven't eaten my dinner yet.
I worked overtime today for about 9 hours and I'm tired.
I will eat a little after the lesson then go to bed.
Cherry blossoms festival will start at the end of this month.

VOCABULARY WITH EXAMPLES:
1. FRONTIER
The word "frontier" usually means the same as "border" except that it is perhaps used more in the military sense.
It's very dangerous to go to the frontier in the war.

2. MERELY
No one could disagree with me, as I was merely stating the facts of the case.
If I merely go to my hometown, my parents are delighted.

3. RING OFF
She did not wish to continue the argument on the phone, so she rang off- i.e. put the phone down.
When I talked with my friend for a long time on the phone, my mother told me to ring off.

4. PRINCIPLE, RHINE, DANUBE, GEOMETRY
The words "principal" and "principle" have the same pronunciation, but "principal" means the most important, e.g. the principal rivers of Europe are the Rhine, the Danube etc.; whilst "principle" means a basic truth or a guiding rule, e.g. the principles of geometry, or, the moral principles which people live by.
The principal mountain in Japan is Mt. Fuji.
It's useful to remember the principles of mathematics.

ブログランキングに参加しています。記事が気に入ったら、是非クリックしてください。
ブログを続ける原動力となります。どうか今日も応援クリックをよろしくお願いします。
にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語学習法へ

0 件のコメント :