月曜日, 4月 21, 2014

Callan OLD Edition Stage 11 Lesson 169 on pages 1151-1153

VOCABULARY:
INVOLVE 関係する
INSIST 主張する
PERMISSIBLE 許せる
LICK 舐める
NORTH-EAST
WORK OUT 解決する
FASHION
ORDERLY
STADIUM
POP  

SENTENCE STRUCTURED:
It was raining a little in the morning.
I didn't bring my umbrella when I went to the office because the rain is not so heavy.
Me and my wife ate in a barbecue restaurant last Saturday.
I went shopping yesterday and I bought cat's grass.
I've heard that cat's grass is good for cat's stomach.
It's an oats wheat in a form of grass.
My cats like it very much and it's good for their stomachs.

CALLAN QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS:
1. WHEN YOU ARE INVOLVED IN AN ARGUMENT AND BOTH YOU AND THE OTHER PERSON KNOW (OR RATHER BELIEVE) YOU ARE RIGHT, DO YOU INSIST ON THE OTHER PERSON ADMITTING THEY ARE WRONG, OR DO YOU JUST LET THE MATTER DROP FOR THE SAKE OF PEACE AND QUIET?
When I'm involved in an argument and both me and the other person know I'm right, I insist on the other person admitting that they are wrong.

2. WHAT AM I DOING?
You're licking your thumb nail.

3. AS REGARDS THE POINTS OF THE COMPASS, WHAT IS MEANT BY NORTH-EAST, NORTH-WEST, SOUTH-EAST AND SOUTH-WEST?
As regards the points of the compass, north-east means the point halfway between north and east, north-west means the point halfway between north and west and so on.

4. IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO WORK OUT A PERSONAL PROBLEM, A PROBLEM IN MATHEMATICS, OR A PROBLEM AT WORK, WHO DO YOU TURN TO?
If I'm unable to work out a personal problem, a problem in mathematics, or a problem at work I turn to my wife, my co-workers and my boss.

5. WHY IS IT ESSENTIAL FOR PEOPLE IN PUBLIC TO BEHAVE IN AN ORDERLY FASHION, ESPECIALLY IN VERY CROWDED AREAS, SUCH AS SHOPPING CENTRES AND SPORTS STADIUMS, OR AT POP CONCERTS?
The reason it's essential for people in public to behave in an orderly fashion, especially in very crowded areas, such as shopping centres and sports stadiums, or at pop concerts is that people can easily get hurt by being crushed against each other.

GRAMMAR AND EXPLANATION:
In the above question, the word "stadia" could have been used in place of the word "stadiums" as "stadia" is the Latin plural of "stadium", but both the English and Latin plurals are permissible.

ブログランキングに参加しています。記事が気に入ったら、是非クリックしてください。
ブログを続ける原動力となります。どうか今日も応援クリックをよろしくお願いします。
にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語学習法へ

0 件のコメント :