月曜日, 6月 10, 2013

Callan New Edition Stage 8 Lesson 115 on pages 624-625

レッスンで出てきた文法・単語VOCABULARY:
-Relative clauses
-what
-whom

GRAMMAR:
Relative clauses (continued)
*We have already learned a lot about relative clauses, but here are a few more things that we should know.
1. We use the relative pronoun "what" instead of "which" or "that" when we don't mention the thing that the relative clause describes. For example, instead of saying "She showed me the dress which she had bought", we can say "She showed me what she had bought".
2. With formal English, some people prefer to use the relative pronoun "whom" instead of 'who". However. this is only possible when the relative pronoun is not the subject of the verb that follows.
FOR EXAMPLE:
In the sentence "I recognized the criminal who stole the bag". the word "who" ¡s the subject of the verb "stole"; in this sentence, we cannot use "whom.
However. in the sentence I recognized the criminal who the policeman arrested'. the word "who" is not the subject of the verb "arrested"; "the policeman" is the subject and who" is the object. In this case, some people prefer to use the word "whom" instead of "who" and say "I recognized the criminal whom the policeman arrested". In informal English. however, the word "whom" is never used.

SENTENCE STRUCTURED:
-We use the relative pronoun "what" when we don't mention the thing that the relative clause describes.
-I like what you wear.
-No, when I was a child, I didn't always like what I was given for my birthday.
-Yes, I've already chosen what I'm going to eat this evening.
-Some people prefer to use the relative pronoun "whom" instead of "who" with formal English, when the relative pronoun is not the subject of the verb that follows.
-The woman whom he is talking to is my sister.
-If I was employed by someone whom I disliked , I'd show professionalism, I'd stand and work with him.
レッスンで利用した教材Callan New Edition Stage 8
レッスンで利用した教材のページ数624-625

ブログランキングに参加しています。記事が気に入ったら、是非クリックしてください。
ブログを続ける原動力となります。どうか今日も応援クリックをよろしくお願いします。
にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語学習法へ

0 件のコメント :