水曜日, 6月 26, 2013

Callan New Edition Stage 8 Lesson 119 on pages 648-649

レッスンで出てきた文法・単語VOCABULARY:
-set up
-Styrofoam 

GRAMMAR AND EXPLANATION:
"Could" as the past of "can"
1. We use "could" as the past of "can" to speak about general abilities. For example. we say "I could swim when I was five years old" or "When he lived in London, he could practise his English every day". On the other hand, if we talk about a particular occasion when somebody managed to do something, we don't use "could"; we use "was able". "managed" or "succeeded" instead. For example, we say "John studied a lot, and was able to pass the exam" or "The child fell into the swimming pool but managed to get out safely".
2. When a sentence is negative, however, we can use either "couldn't" or "wasn't able". We can say, for example, "He looked for his keys for a long time but he couldn't find them". 

SENTENCE STRUCTURED:
-It's raining today.
-It's raining since morning until now.
-I didn't wear a rain coat when I went to the office; I just brought my umbrella.
-I got wet when I arrived at the office.
-I changed my socks and my shoes, but I didn't change my clothes because I don't have an extra shirt.
-We don't have a locker in the office.
-We use "could" as the past of "can" to speak about general abilities.
-I could run fast when I was a child.
-We don't use "could" as the past of "can" if we talk about a particular occasion when somebody managed to do something.
-We use "was able", "managed" or "succeeded" instead.
-He was able to get good result because he studied hard.
-When a sentence is negative, we can use ether "couldn't" or "wasn't able".
-I wasn't able to swim well when I was a child.
レッスンで利用した教材Callan New Edition Stage 8
レッスンで利用した教材のページ数648-649

ブログランキングに参加しています。記事が気に入ったら、是非クリックしてください。
ブログを続ける原動力となります。どうか今日も応援クリックをよろしくお願いします。
にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語学習法へ

0 件のコメント :